(Chicken With Vinegar)
Recipe By: Paul Bocuse "La Mere Brazier" restaurtant in France
1. Preheat the oven to 450F
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. After 1 or 2 minutes add olive oil. When the oil is good and hot, place chicken in the skillet, skin side down. Cook undisturbed for around 3-4 minutes (until the chicken is nicely browned and releases from the skillet easily). Turn chicken and cook 3 minutes on the other side. Season with salt & pepper.
3. Place chicken and skillet in the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until almost done (juices run clear, but there is still a little bit of pink next to the bone -- around 150 to 155F). Remove chicken to ovenproof dish, turn off oven and place chicken in oven.
4. Pour almost all of the fat from the skillet, but make sure there is still a good film of oil. Return skillet to the stove and heat over medium-high heat. Add shallots, sprinkle with a little salt & pepper, stir and saute until tender (around 2-3 minutes).
5. Add vinegar and turn heat to high. Cook for a minute or two. Add 1/2 cup water and cook further until the mixture is slightly reduced and slightly thickened. Add butter and stir into sauce.
6. Return the chicken to the skillet (along with accumulated juices) and turn the chicken in the sauce. Serve immediately.
Instead of browning chicken in olive oil brown in 7 tablespoons clarified butter. Increase amount of butter you blend in the sauce just before adding the chicken from 1 tablespoon to 3 or 4 tablespoons.
Copyright © 2005 Carol Stevens, Shaboom's Kitchen, All Rights Reserved